Friday 3 August 2007

Patrona Britanniae


Here's title of Our Lady I haven't come across before. We all know about the Blessed Virgin as 'Patrona Bavariae' (Patroness of Bavaria - an ancient title) but not 'Patrona Britanniae' (Patroness of Britain). I found it in a mosaic in one of the new crypt chapels at the Divine Mercy shrine, Łagiewniki (a name which I'm still learning to pronounce) in the outskirts of Krakow. I think we should begin to use this title - perhaps someone should build a shrine to Our Lady, Patroness of Britain (but perhaps in a different style to the one below)?




I was surprised at how impressed I was at visiting Łagiewniki. As you can see from the above pictures, it comprises of a very modern basilica (which, in its own way, is remarkable and very spacious) as well as the old convent chapel, where St Faustina is buried. I've said before that the Divine Mercy devotion has never been a prominent feature in my spiritual life, but I purchased a few books about it when I was at the shrine and now understand the message of St Faustina a bit better. If you're in the Krakow area, I thoroughly recommend a visit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>