Friday 2 March 2007

Lenten Exercise

Tonight, for the first time this Millennium, I found myself in the unlikely environs of a sports centre.

It was an appropriate Lenten exercise, especially after attending a delightful dinner party last night in a neighbouring presbytery to celebrate the feast of St David, Patron of Wales. I recently mentioned in conversation to one of our Confirmation catechists that I used to enjoy playing badminton (about ten years ago) and he kindly offered to book a court. I went along apprehensively, thinking that I would barely hit the shuttlecock over the net and that I'd be utterly thrashed.

However, it turned out to be highly enjoyable and I'm delighted to announce the result. It would be wrong, of course, to gloat - but this out-of-shape 31 year-old priest beat his 26 year-old opponent by 4 games to 3. Miracles certainly do happen and I currently feel unusually healthy (though I'm sure I'll be aching in the morning).

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Fr Ray Blake said...

Sport always leads to gloating, give it up for Lent!

12:02 am  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

Hmmm, you might have a point there!

9:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this wise? remember the sporting injury you sustained In Rome.

4:09 pm  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

The perils of the badminton court are nothing compared to the perils of stretching in the morning.

4:29 pm  
Blogger biretta wearer said...

I had to take to my bed at the very thought of such excesses!

9:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a disgrace that, at 31, you're so out of shape (aka "fat") -- get it together, man!

12:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>