Friday 19 January 2007

Something for the Weekend

And now for something completely different...




I was pleased to find this on You Tube - a colourful clip from one of my favourite opera DVDs. It just proves that early/baroque music is anything but stuffy, thanks to this slightly surreal production by William Christie. The extract is from Act IV of Rameau's Les Indes Galantes, an opera-ballet first performed in Paris in 1735. The characters in this scene are les sauvages ('savages') of North America. Zima (played by Patricia Petibon), the daughter of a Red Indian chief, is pursued by a Spaniard and a Frenchman, but in the end she chooses one of her own people.

I hope it cheers you up this weekend!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! I do love the more theatrical performances that you can work out what's happening in!

I'm going to have to go and look on Amazon to see if I can find this on DVD!

8:26 am  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

I've added an Amazon link for you - you get two DVDs and it's a great production!

9:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>