Thursday 7 December 2006

Paths to Holiness


Tonight at 7pm I will be leading the first of three Advent recollections (all on Thursday evening). Or, at least, when I say 'lead' I really mean click the play button on our new super-duper laptop/powerpoint projector combo.

I'm using the Untold Blessings DVD originally produced for the Archdiocese of Chicago, which I have already mentioned on this blog. The presenter is Fr Robert Barron of Chicago's Mundelein seminary, who mixes a lively, almost 'evangelical' style with solid Catholic teaching and images from the spiritual masters like Aquinas and Chesterton. Over the three Thursday sessions he'll be guiding us in the three 'paths to holiness,' starting with tonight's first step: putting Christ at the centre of our lives. Fr Barron uses two powerful images from the medieval cathedrals. Firstly, the Rose Window of Notre Dame, Paris, which stands for the well-ordered soul, displaying integritas, consonantia and claritas. Secondly, the Wheel of Fortune (not the game show!), which reminds us that we must not ride on the rim of the wheel (life's ups and downs, clinging to the things of this world) but rather be anchored on Christ and assume an attitude of detachment. I hope the session will go well - it's my first initiative in Kingsland, so prayers please! I think I'm the only person in this country to use this excellent material and I recommend it to priests and catechists...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know of anywhere this can be bought from in the UK? It seems that so much good material e.g. Fr John Corapi SOLT DVDs is only available from the US ans the shipping costs are such a lot.

9:13 pm  
Blogger Fr Nicholas said...

You can order this DVD very inexpensively - I think it costs $5 per DVD and you can pay by card. Look at my original post for details: http://romanmiscellany.blogspot.com/2006/04/untold-blessings.html (although the website you can buy them from seems temporarily unavialable).

9:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>