Tuesday 12 December 2006

Our Lady of Guadalupe


In 1754 Benedict XIV declared Our Lady of Guadalupe the Patroness of New Spain and fixed 12 December as her Feast. It's a great celebration and one that only recently made the Universal Calendar. Even though it displaced St Jane Frances de Chantal (now 12 August), I was pleased because a rather decisive event in my life happened on 12 December thirty-one years ago (at around 4pm). I met the other involved party - my parents - last night for a wonderful meal at Il Portico restaurant on Kensington High Street (the most authentically Italian place that I've been to in London). This morning I said an early Mass in the Lady Chapel at Kingsland in honour of Our Lady of Guadalupe and, on returning to my study, found a present from my parish priest - the new book on Sir Ninian Comper (famous Church architect) by Anthony Symondson, SJ, and Stephen Bucknall. So the day has got off to a good start!

Today is also my dies non - so my plan is as follows: do some Christmas shopping, go to the Travellers Club on Pall Mall (the one-time home of Mgr Alfred Gilbey) where a friend is hosting both myself and Fr Whinder, go with the said Fr Whinder to the Holbein in England exhibition at Tate Britain and then return to the presbytery and curl up with a good book.

Happy Feast, especially to Roman Miscellany's American friends!

PS I met up with the dĂșnadan on Sunday evening and had a meal in Cally's Kitchen. Click here for pictures of the Roman Miscellenist meeting 'Berrydict' the cat!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger biretta wearer said...

Many happy returns, Father!

9:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Father, and many blessings in your future.

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>